Mr. A.S. Chandhiok has a degree in Arts and in Law from the University of Delhi. He stood first in Law in the University and also won the gold medal. He was awarded honorary doctorate degrees by the World Sikh University, U.K., and the Amity University, Uttar Pradesh, India.
In 1999, he was designated a Senior Advocate and was appointed as the Additional Solicitor General of India in July 2009.
Mr. Chandhiok has successfully represented many corporate bodies, government agencies and departments in many important matters. He was Counsel for the Government of National Capital Territory of Delhi, for more than seven years. He successfully represented the Delhi Development Authority, various other government institutions, many nationalized banks and multinational banks and other corporates - Indian as well as multinational, before international forums - Arbitral Tribunals and Courts also. He was invited as an expert on Indian laws by various Courts/Tribunals and other institutions in the United States, United Kingdom and Australia.
He has appeared before MRTP and Competition Commission of India in various matters on behalf. He has participated and presented at various national and international conferences on topics relating to competition law including, more recently, on the scope of the Central Government's power of exemption under Section 54 of the Competition Act, 2002.
Mr. Chandhiok is currently the President of the Delhi High Court Bar Association, which position he occupied five times earlier, the first being in 1998. He is currently also, apart from being on the board of various Law Associations, academic and other institutions:
Amongst other things, Mr. Chandhiok was awarded:
- Senior Vice-President - Asia Pacific Jurist Association
- Executive Member - Bar Association of India
- Senior Vice-President - INSOL India
- Member- INSOL International
- President, Society of Insolvency Practitioners of India
- Member - Governing Council, Indian Law Institute (a deemed university)
- Member - Commonwealth Lawyers' Association
- Member on the Committee of International Law Association, for the Rights of Indigenous People
- Senior Vice President, AGE CARE Foundation
Mr. Chandhiok has traveled extensively in India and abroad. He enjoys photography, classical Indian music and films.
- "Outstanding Jurist - 2000" by J.N. Kaushal Jurisprudence Centre, New Delhi.
- Award for rendering meritorious legal services from Delhi Citizens' Forum for Civil Rights in 2002.
- The National Law Day Award-2006, from the Prime Minister of India, Dr. Manmohan Singh, for the contribution made in the practice of Civil Law.
- The "Leader in the Profession - Leader of the Bar Award-2007" from the Bar Council of Delhi, in March 2007 (first time the Bar Council, a statutory body under the Advocates Act, has conferred this award).
- "Sikh of the Year 2010" by Sikh Forum International, London, UK.